At Beam, you get to do work that matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
It’s not easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But we take care of everyone who works here with everything from coaching to personal budgets and pay highly competitively.
You’ll be joining a company that’s having a huge impact on people’s lives with a culture where you can be yourself, have fun and progress rapidly. We're one of the Hottest 10 Startups in London according to WIRED and on LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups list.
Why we’re hiring
For a few years, our main focus was building our crowdfunding site and the sophisticated tooling used by our team. We then launched Beam for Companies, the world’s first social impact subscription for busy teams and companies.
Now, we’re quickly expanding the breadth of our product offering at Beam with revolutionary, AI-powered products that have the potential to transform the effectiveness of case workers and social workers globally.
Across all these areas, we’re leveraging our experience and cutting-edge generative AI technologies to build a product to serve historically underserved users. Between these products, there’s a huge amount of exciting, challenging and important work to do, and we need more folks to join our talented and experienced engineering team.
Life as a Developer at Beam
Led by Julian, you’ll be joining a lean team of exceptional engineers, which is set to double in size in 2024, and will shape and build the future of our tools and products.
You'll spend time pair programming, brainstorming hard problems, prototyping different ideas, throwing them away, and prototyping them again. You wouldn't be just churning through tickets in a backlog - you'd be helping to design entirely new products, figuring out what exactly we're even building and why.
You'd spend your time developing and improving existing projects, for example:
Building internal tools - for our team to help as many people as efficiently as possible
Rapid Prototyping - You'll be adding features features to Beam for Companies to bring in donations for the crowdfunding platform
Tooling efficiency - Using the latest generative AI tooling to empower our caseworkers to focus on what matters, helping those in need.
Optimising our products - so that they are snappy and performant for all of our users
Feature Development - Building out new features for our partners in government, our supporters and our wonderful members
Future Technology - Building and helping to shape the future of our new AI-driven product, Magic Notes, used by care workers in local councils to save hours of admin per week
Check out this interview with one of Beam's Full Stack Engineers on the Beam blog.
What tech do we use?
Our priority is to ship maintainable, reliable systems. To date, we've done that using:
Ruby on Rails on the back-end
Vue JS, Alpine JS, Stimulus, Tailwind CSS and ERB for front-end
Heroku, AWS for hosting and Azure & OpenAI for AI services
PostgreSQL for databases
RSpec, Sidekiq, GoodJob, Stripe, Twilio, Slack, Mailchimp
You should apply if
You’re already a great Ruby developer, well versed in engineering best practices, including version control, test-driven development and continuous integration
- You have demonstrable experience in a high-growth tech startup or leading global tech company
- You write clean, performant and well-documented code
- You have experience building web products and services, and have an awareness of technologies across the stack
- You care about building reliable, well-tested systems
- You have a product mindset: you care about customer outcomes and you want to make data-informed decisions
- You have an entrepreneurial, get-things-done attitude
- You'll contribute to fostering a culture of psychological safety, inclusivity, collaboration and continuous improvement within the team through participation in retrospectives and feedback
- You're passionate about social mobility
We have a strong preference for London-based engineers who can regularly meet the team to problem solve in person. We do hire outside of the UK in locations within +/- 3 hours of GMT.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 53% of people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- £70-110k (dependent on experience - we'll have an open discussion)
- Access to therapy, coaching, classes & content - powered by Oliva
EMI-qualifying share options
- Annual company retreat
- 1:1 workplace coaching with More Happi
- Regular team talks from leading UK tech entrepreneurs
- Free subscription to Calm meditation app
- Discounted bike and accessories with Cyclescheme
- Discounted tech products with Techscheme
- Unlimited holiday (we recommend ~25 days + Bank Holidays per year)
- Your own financial well-being coach, through Bippit
We work hard to make sure every employee is given the freedom, tools, trust, and support to do the best work of their careers.
All our interviews are currently conducted over Google Meet. It usually takes us a week to get back to you after each round. Due to a high number of applications, we are unfortunately unable to offer feedback before Round 2. Feedback for subsequent rounds is provided if requested.
We take hiring seriously. We have a four-stage interview process, giving you plenty of time to learn about Beam while we get to know you.
- 30 mins with our Talent team
- 90 mins with Julian
- 60 mins with Product Team
- Final meeting with Alex, our Founder & CEO