Join a unique company that combines the excitement of working in a high-growth tech startup with the fulfilment of creating life-changing social impact.
It’s not easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But we take care of everyone who works here, we believe in transparency, diversity, merit and fostering a culture of empowerment, personal impact and career growth.
At Beam, you get to do work that really matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
About the role
The Head of Legal is an exciting role supporting all aspects of Beam's governance and operations. You’ll work cross functionally on matters ranging from strategic and tactical legal matters to compliance guidance and advising on our product. In this newly created role, you will report to our Co-Founder and CEO and have accountability for all aspects of building a high performing legal function.
This is an evolving role with continuous opportunity for growth. Whether you are coming from a startup or corporate background, a successful candidate will appreciate how much of an outsized impact they can make at a smaller organisation and will relish the ability to shape their own role and the future of the company.
Please note this role is London based, requiring a minimum two days per week in our office in Shoreditch. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
- All aspects of legal impact at Beam. Working closely with the CEO, COO, Sales team, Growth team and People team
Building scalable processes that support both risk and commercial decision making
Contract reviews - all contracts turned around quickly with clear redlines delivered
Contract management - strong process in place for managing all contracts and documents
Investment Stage - from complex investment scenarios to managing the EMI share scheme
Legal advice - you'll be embedded into the team and able to provide nuanced, accurate legal advice. As well as first support for our people team and leaders on relevant employment legislation within the UK and internationally as we scale
Risk and Compliance - you'll ensure we have relevant policies and procedures in place that address compliance with relevant laws and regulations for the jurisdictions we operate
Data Compliance - support and manage the way in which we both as controllers and processors meet the regulations and compliance needs of Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR as we scale. Knowledge of ISO 27001 Certification highly beneficial.
- A qualified lawyer / solicitor with relevant training from a top law firm
- Experienced at working in-house, ideally in a startup or scale up environment
- Experience with public sector or regulated industries will be a big bonus as there are a number of compliance requirements
- Willingness to extend experience into other areas of law (Employment, IP)
- Experience with data or privacy law in the UK (EU and Internationally would be a bonus)
- Highly commercial with experience gained in-house support the negotiating and reviewing of high volume complex commercial agreements
- Able to operate at pace and in ambiguity are key to this role, as well as being able to operate across competing and changing priorities
We’re a team of 120 working from our beautiful co-working space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups for 2022
We’re proud to be rated a top company to work for by Escape the City and The Dots and are committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here. We especially want to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage.
63% of people we support come from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we can serve these people best when we’re a diverse, inclusive team.
- Salary of £90-£120k – highly competitive in the tech for good and social enterprise space
EMI-qualifying share options
- Access to therapy, coaching, classes & content - powered by Oliva
- Annual company retreat
- 1:1 workplace coaching with More Happi
- Regular team talks from leading UK tech entrepreneurs
- Free subscription to Calm meditation app
- Discounted bike and accessories with Cyclescheme
- Discounted tech products with Techscheme
- Unlimited holiday (we recommend ~25 days + Bank Holidays per year)
- Your own financial wellbeing coach through Bippit
We have a 4-stage interview process, giving you plenty of time to learn about Beam while we get to know you.
- Intro call with our Director of Talent
- Deep dive into the role and experience with Hiring Manager
- Role play Scenarios with our current Legal Compliance Lead
- Meet the founders
Start your journey to a more impactful career today. We're excited to hear from you.