Trustee at The Beam Foundation
The Beam Foundation is a charitable organisation that is partnered with Beam to maximise its social impact. The Beam Foundation exists to:
"(i) to promote the education of individuals, in particular but not exclusively,
homeless individuals, individuals with disabilities and individuals who have a criminal record, in such ways as the Charity Trustees think fit, including by providing assistance to find and crowdfund educational courses and training; and (ii) to relieve unemployment, in particular but not exclusively among homeless individuals, individuals with disabilities and individuals who have a criminal record, in such ways as may be thought fit, including providing assistance to find employment, in each case for the public benefit."
Beam acts as an "intermediary", akin to JustGiving raising funds but also providing a range of other services on behalf of The Beam Foundation to its beneficiaries. All online and offline donations are remitted to The Beam Foundation. The Beam Foundation is chaired by Clare Sutcliffe MBE.
Please note this role is approximately 4 days a year, but the requirements will dictate the time. The role is voluntary and does not have employee perks, however reasonable expenses incurred as part of your trustee duties may be covered by Beam.
- Attend 2-4 trustee board meetings a year
- Actively engage in The Beam Foundation's work and respond in a timely fashion to operational issues in between trustee board meetings
- Comply with statutory accounting and reporting requirements
- Comply with charity law requirements and other laws that apply to The Beam Foundation, including the Charities Act 1993 as amended by the Charities Act 2006 and all legislation relevant to The Beam Foundation's work and activities
- Act in the The Beam Foundation's best interests
- Ensure The Beam Foundation is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- Understand and ensure The Beam Foundation complies with its governing document
- Take reasonable steps to find out about legal requirements, for example by reading relevant guidance or taking appropriate advice when you need to
- Preserve and enhance the reputation of The Beam Foundation
- Financially literate and with strong risk awareness
- Previous governance and leadership experience
- Strong awareness and compliance with a trustee's fiduciary duties
- Passionate ambassador for The Beam Foundation
- Charities experience in one or more of an accounting, legal or senior operational capacity
- Track record of raising significant philanthropic capital and desire to galvanise their own networks to benefit The Beam Foundation and its beneficiaries